Wednesday 21 September 2011

That was fun. And it was just the enrolment...

On Tuesday 20th Sept I enrolled at my Uni. I instantly made a lot of lovely friends (maybe because everyone wants to latch on to someone initially, but I believe it was my popular charisma that did the trick) But I doubt they'll all be studying law with me as they assembled random students doing random courses to enrol together.

Anyway, it was great, and we had a little Induction/Introduction to how our courses will be. I met one of my lecturers who was a very enthusiastic Caribbean old man. He spoke a lot about the true harshness of just how I'll find my degree, but we also received a lot of examples of their current students who are excelling at our courses. It made me realise that I want to be a barrister. I don't know how the whole day and that ambition directly relate, but I suddenly thought that I ought to exhaust all possible areas of my profession, before settling down into one field. The only problem with this is that it is usually easier for students to either take the solicitor route or the Bar route, Not one after the other. This means I'll seriously have to consider every pro and con for both legal profession before deciding, but at least now I am not ruling out one form of legal profession completely.

I also began to take into perspective how hard it will be for someone like me to qualify as a lawyer, due to my ethnicity and social background. Unfortunately, in a lot of law firms (or even at the Bar) there is the 'Glass Ceiling' ideology, and even just the mere fact that I am a female could be a set back if I want to work in a City law firm. But I shan't let these boundaries stop me. There are countless examples (I had to research this to encourage myself) of female lawyers and/or lawyers of the minor ethnicity (Shami Chakrabarti is my favourite, she's like my ideal celeb :s) who have done exceedingly well, so there is nothing to stop me really.

 I did experience some prejudice at my college when I wanted to apply to Universities to study law. A lot of my teachers said I wouldn't get in! Nevertheless, I have a stubborn tendency to prove people wrong, and that's what spurred me on to eventually be accepted to study law. I am going to work more than exceptionally hard, and never doubt for one moment that I can be a success for my family, my ethnicity and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment